With more than 35 million riders operating over 10 million ATVs across the U.S., understanding the importance of safe and responsible riding techniques is essential. Both riders and non-riders can benefit from knowing the fundamentals to keep themselves, their friends and their families as safe as possible.
Young riders, who often have more time to ride dirt bikes and ATVs in the summer due to free time away from school, are especially vulnerable to certain types of crashes when not following proper safety rules. For example, nearly 90 percent of youth ATV-related injuries occur when a youth is operating an adult-sized ATV. Parents should supervise children under the age of 16 at all times while they operate an ATV, and manage when the vehicle can be used by removing the ignition key. By controlling the means to start the ATV, parents are literally holding the key to their child’s safety.
Consumer Product Safety Commission data show that 92 percent of all ATV-related fatalities are the result of warned-against behaviors.
Due August 15, 2012
1. The PSA video must be either 15, 30 or 60 seconds in length, inclusive of all titles and credits and should close with a visual referral to atvsafety.org if featuring ATVs exclusively or to dirtbikeschool.org if featuring dirt bikes exclusively or if your PSA includes both ATVs and dirt bikes refer to riderfund.org.
2. Each video PSA must cover one or more ATV Safety “Golden Rules” or one or more of the MSF “Dirt Bike Riding Tips”.
3. You may enter multiple versions of your PSA (i.e. 15, 30 and 60 second versions).
4. All entries must be new, original creation of the entrant(s). The PSA cannot have been submitted in a previous promotion or contest.
5. A signed Appearance Consent and Release Form for the entrant and each person appearing in the PSA, and his/her parent/guardian if he/she is a minor (under the age of 18).
6. By submitting a video, all entrants grant ASI, MSF and RRAF a non-exclusive license to air the video in any manner and medium whatsoever, with no compensation (other than any prize money awarded to you).
7. Please note that incomplete entries and those submitted after the deadline, August 15, 2012 at 11:59PM PST will not be considered.
Students: Ages 6 to 18. Students will be grouped according to age ranges: 6-10 years old, 11-14 years old, and 15-18 years old.
Entries will be reviewed by a panel of ASI, MSF and RRAF associates, members and affiliates, whose decisions are final.
Each age category has a First ($500), Second ($300) and Third ($200) prize.
One Grand Prize ($2,500) winner will be selected, all age categories are eligible for the Grand Prize.
Please don’t hesitate to ask any questions in the comments below.