Crankworx Whistler has a new event to add to the artistic slate: The GoPro Dirt Diaries, a video contest challenging filmmakers to capture the action in and around Whistler.
Interested amateur and expert filmmakers are asked to submit a two-minute teaser for a mountain bike video shot in the Whistler Mountain Bike Park and around Whistler
Due July 13, 2012.
1. The GoPro Shoot Out welcomes all filmmakers to submit their teaser for consideration. Teaser is to be no more than two-minutes in length and acts as a precursor to the six-minute video to be created if filmmaker is chosen to participate as finalist.
2. We encourage filmmakers to shoot fresh footage in this season. All shooting for final six filmmakers will end on August 10, 2012.
3. All teasers must be complete and submitted to Pinkbike.com to be considered for the contest by midnight July 13, 2012.
4. Footage must include footage of (1) the Whistler Mountain Bike Park and (2) the Whistler Valley between Function Junction and Emerald.
1. Shooting in the Whistler Mountain Bike Park is limited to within normal operating hours and all
participants in the event are required to have a valid ticket to the Park, and obey all permanent
closures and on-mountain rules and signage.
2. Modifications to features or trails in the Whistler Mountain Bike Park is forbidden. Participants
must remain within the boundary of marked bike trails.
3. “No Ride Zones” in the Whistler Mountain Bike Park consist of mountain roads, ski runs and lift
lines, as well as bear habitat east of the Village Gondola (Emerald Express area).
4. Participants must respect all existing trails in the Whistler Mountain Bike Park and elsewhere. If
you are creating anything new, do it with any permission that may be required and in the spirit
of the long-term viability of the trail and the nature that surrounds it.
HOW IT WORKS:
Based on the judging criteria set out below, a panel of judges will select the top ten teasers
from entries received by the Teaser Deadline. The selection of the top ten teasers will be at the
sole discretion of the judges and their decisions will be final.
The top ten teasers will be featured on pinkbike.com from July 20 to 27, 2012. The public will
be invited to log on to www.pinbike.com and cast a vote for their favourite teaser. [Users
cannot vote more than once from the same IP address for the same teaser. If it is discovered
that attempts were made by a user to vote more than once from the same IP address for the
same teaser, then all votes associated with that IP address may be void. Use of any automated,
script, macro or robotic program to submit votes may result in the disqualification, in the sole
discretion of Crankworx, of the entrant.]
On or about July 30, 2012, the top six finalists will be announced. Finalists will be invited to
complete the “full length” six-minute version of their film, which must be submitted by 11:59:59
p.m. on August 10, 2012 in accordance with instructions Crankworx will provide to finalists.
Finalists will be awarded GoPro Kits that may be used to complete their “full length” six-minute
Finalists who submit their “full length” six-minute film by the deadline will be invited to present
their film before a live audience and panel of judges at The GoPro Dirt Diaries event on Tuesday,
August 14, 2012 during Crankworx Whistler.
The top three winners will be announced at The GoPro Dirt Diaries event. First place will be
awarded $3,000, second place $2,000 and third place $1,000.
The Competition is open to those eligible to use the Pinkbike Website.
Two-Minute Teaser Judging Criteria:
• Demonstrates a connection to the theme of mountain biking in the Whistler area as well as British Columbia.
• Integrates creative shots and techniques, including some GoPro style angles.
• Original, captivating and entertaining – the audience feels like they are seeing something new and leave feeling stoked and engaged
• Attention to technical detail – The music and/or sound track is Royalty-Free, appealing and captures the mood of the scene, volume is consistent and background noise is minimal
• Editing of the film leads to emotional build-up and audience response
The six teasers with the most votes on Pinkbike.com by July 30 will be rewarded a full camera kit from GoPro to aid in the completion of their final six-minute film and they will be invited to complete their six-minute video. These full length videos will be shown to a massive live audience on August 14, 2012 at the GoPro Dirt Diaries event during Crankworx Whistler.
First place will take home $3,000, second $2,000 and third, $1,000 cash plus other prizes.
The six teasers with the most votes on Pinkbike.com by July 30 will be rewarded a full camera kit from GoPro to aid in the completion of their final six-minute film and they will be invited to complete their six-minute video.
Please don’t hesitate to ask any questions in the comments below.