Movember is a month-long event that takes place in November each year, where men grow a moustache (or “mo”) in order to “change the face of men’s health.” By sporting a moustache for the entire month, men act as walking billboards, and as a result, raise funds and awareness for issues in men’s health. In the past, Movember’s focus has been on prostate cancer awareness. On November 1st, men, now known as “Mo Bros,” begin the adventure by shaving their face clean, and kicking off their fundraising efforts. Accompanied by their female supporters (“Mo Sistas”), men work hard all month long to bring awareness to the often overlooked issue of men’s health, all by simply rocking a mo for thirty days. In 2011, there were over 850,000 registrations for Movember, and over $120 million was raised worldwide.
1. Video submissions (each, a “Video”) must NOT exceed fifteen (15) seconds in length. Preferred format is HD 720p 16×9. Acceptable file formats are .mov, .avi, .mp4, .wmv. Acceptable codecs are H.264 (MP4), MPEG-4, H.263, MPGV, WMV, DivX.
2. The number of parties (talent) in each video cannot exceed 1-3 people.
3. Unless otherwise permitted in these General Requirements, all work must be your own original creation and free of any copyrighted material. You shall provide detailed information about your work regarding the source, the creator and any background information, as requested by Tongal, Inc. (“Tongal”). Videos must NOT contain any content that is in violation of or infringes any intellectual property rights of any third party, including but not limited to copyrights, trademarks and rights of publicity and privacy. For example videos MUST NOT CONTAIN any Logos, brands, company names and crowd scenes, without appropriate releases. Keep backgrounds and props as GENERIC as possible.
4. Videos must NOT include any mention of, reference to or visual image/shot of Speed Stick deodorant/antiperspirant, other Colgate-Palmolive Company (“Colgate-Palmolive”) products or any products competitive to Colgate-Palmolive Company’s Speed Stick product (whether positive or negative). Videos must NOT include any statements, endorsements, testimonials or product claims (express or implied) regarding any Colgate-Palmolive or competitive products. Videos must also NOT include/use any Colgate-Palmolive trademarks, including but not limited to, the HANDLE IT and POWER trademarks.
5. In the event you utilize any third party materials, such as music provided by a third party music provider, you must obtain a full written license and consent from the owner of such third party materials and provide such license and/or consent form to Tongal. Audiosocket is the preferred third party music provider for the Speed Stick Project.
Tongal has partnered with Audiosocket, a boutique music licensing agency representing more than 1,400 emerging bands, composers and record labels. Audiosocket tracks will be available to Tongal members at no charge solely for their incorporation into Tongal members’ Videos to the Speed Stick Project. Tongal members are encouraged to browse the Audiosocket catalog, available at http://audiosocket.com/. If you are interested in using a track from the Audiosocket catalog, as described above, please email email@example.com for account and password info, which will allow for the download of up to three (3) tracks.
Any use of an Audiosocket track obtained through Tongal in connection with the Speed Stick Project that is made outside of such Tongal member’s submission to the Speed Stick Project is strictly prohibited.
6. Videos cannot contain any unsuitable or offensive content, including any profanity, offensive language, sexually-explicit content, nudity, disparaging or libelous content or otherwise objectionable material, the determination of which is solely at the discretion of Colgate-Palmolive Company.
7. Videos must be in the English language or subtitled.
8. Limit five (5) submissions per phase per member.
You must have reached the age of majority in your jurisdiction of residence in order to submit.
Residents of U.S. and Canada EXCLUDING QUEBEC are eligible to submit.
Colgate-Palmolive Canada Inc., the makers of Speed Stick Power Antiperspirant and a proud partner of Movember, is looking for video submissions that will help build on its current campaign, “Don’t sweat it. Handle it,” and link this to the month-long challenges men face in Movember. Our goal is to utilize Tongal’s unique community to create engaging videos that not only link to these “Handle it” moments, but also support the greater cause of Movember. The videos will act as an integral part of Speed Stick’s Movember digital campaign.
Videos should have a fairly simple structure and feature a 20-something guy as the hero. There are two main pieces of storytelling:
1) The Tension Moment: show a simple story of a sweat-inducing moment a man may face in Movember (it’s more of an emotional, “freak-out” type sweat, but it could also be an active type of sweat). This situation may or may not be brought on by a moustache. Use the hero’s inner monologue to make it clear what he’s thinking, but on the outside, he looks calm and cool.
2) The Win: as a resolution, show how our hero guy can “handle it” in that situation and succeeds in the context of the situation. This doesn’t mean that our guy simply holds composure in an awkward moment – he takes charge, and is responsible for the positive outcome.
–Note: There should be a natural pause in the action/dialogue between the “tension” and the “win” so that the appropriate branding can be inserted.
–Examples: For examples of the “Tension Moment” and “Win” video structure, please see previous Speed Stick Handle It video winners: http://tongal.com/project/speedstick as well as current Handle It videos at http://speedstick.ca.
–Tone and Attitude: These are real guys you can relate to in realistic but slightly exaggerated situations. Funny with an edge. This should be a look at real-life jams guys in their early 20s might find themselves in.
- He’s confident, but not cocky.
- He’s positive and fun
- He’s real, not a caricature.
- He’s not the ultra smooth Old Spice guy.
- He’s not the player of an Axe guy.
Think of a cool friend telling his funniest story about how he had to step-up and own a tough situation.
In addition, while not necessarily the focal point of the situation, the moustache, as being sported in Movember, must convey something on its own:
- It is (or appears to be) genuine. Movember is about growing real moustaches for 30 days. No fake mo’s for men.
- It is not portrayed in a negative connotation, and is not to be disparaged. It is to be assumed that, without being said explicitly, our guy’s mo exists because he is supporting Movember.
- Positive, creative, fun, irreverent
- Two part structure: The Tension Moment and The Win.
- A sweat-inducing situation that’s relevant to our target.
- Incorporates a moustache, whether as the center of the awkward situation or not.
- The storyline should not be focused around Movember.
- Humorous inner monologue.
- Messaging that is similar to previously produced videos.
- An obvious connection to under arm sweat: needs to feel like a guy may sweat in this situation.
- A clear victory. An indication that he has come out on top in the eyes of a girl, a boss, a rival, his peers, etc. He has done this not by good luck or simply maintaining composure, but by acting in a way that allowed for his victory.
- It’s not about smell, it’s about not sweating.
- Humorous inner monologue.
- Tight, short, understandable stories.
- Minimize on camera talent to 1-3 people
Videos should NOT include any product shots or mentions of “Speed Stick” or “Movember.” They should be within 15 seconds of Tongal- sourced material (to allow time for subsequent addition of branding). Also, there should be a natural pause in the action/dialogue between the “tension” and the “win” to allow for this to happen smoothly. Lastly, product introductions and announcer voiceovers will be added in after videos are submitted.