You’ve heard the rhetoric before, but this time, we really mean it. Really. Put it this way, the next Video Project like this that could launch would be in the year 2117. That’s because, on June 5th at 6:09 EDT Venus will begin its 7-hour Transit across our Sun for the last time in our lifetime.
NASA will be broadcasting via the web, and TV in HD for the full seven-hour experience and archiving all the materials (videos, images, streams, etc) through sites like Flickr, Twitter and Facebook.
Here’s where you come in: NASA wants you to take all this amazing footage and create Video Time Capsules that tell the story of this Transit to be used as a message to future citizens in 2117 as they get ready to watch the next Venus Transit.
1. Videos MUST not exceed 60 seconds in length. Preferred format is HD 720p 16×9. Acceptable file formats are .mov, .avi, .mp4, .wmv. Acceptable codecs are H.264 (MP4), MPEG-4, H.263, MPGV, WMV, DivX.
2. Unless provided otherwise, all work must be your own original creation and free of any copyrighted material. You shall provide detailed information of your work regarding the source, the creator and background information as requested by Tongal.
3. While the use of the text “NASA” and “National Aeronautics and Space Administration” is allowable, the use of the NASA icon, (aka Meatball) is not.
4. In the event you utilize any third party materials, such as music provided by a third-party music provider, you must obtain full written license and consent from the owner of such third party materials and provide such license and consent forms to Tongal.
5. Submissions cannot contain any profanity, offensive language, nudity or otherwise objectionable material, the determination of which is solely at the discretion of NASA.
6. Submissions must not portray NASA in a negative way, the determination of which will solely reside with NASA.
7. Videos must be in the English language or subtitled.
8. This project is NOT open to residents of China.
9. Limit 5 submission(s) per member, per phase.
10. Minimum 30 Videos or the project may repost for 14 days at sponsor’s discretion.
Contests are open only to natural persons, thirteen (13) years or older at the time of entry (or the age as otherwise specified in a particular project’s requirements on the Project Details Page), who are registered members of the Tongal online community (each, a “Member”). A minor (for these purposes, a person under eighteen years of age as of the time of entry) submitting an entry for a Contest must receive his/her parent/legal guardian’s permission and include his/her parent’s/legal guardian’s name and daytime telephone number on the official entry form where indicated.
A team of one to five qualified judges selected by the Sponsor, including the Chief Judge, will select and rank the eligible Video Entries based on certain weighted factors determined by the Sponsor. Without limiting the preceding sentence, examples of weighted factors for a Contest are: (1) viability of the Video Entry as a premise for the final objective of the Contest (e.g., commercial advertisement, music video, how-to-video, etc.); (2) originality; (3) creativity; and (4) effectiveness in promotion of the final objective of the Contest.