The Energy Visions Prize will reward media projects that have a public impact on U.S. energy: videos that feature engaging stories and compelling visuals about America’s home-grown clean energy – natural gas, renewables and biofuels – and apps that enable the production or use of clean energy innovations. Prizes worth a total of $250,000 are expected to be awarded to creators of outstanding media and innovative digital works that advance a vision for America’s energy security and a cleaner, low carbon environment.
Works due for entry must have been created after October 15, 2011, and must be uploaded to the prize website no later than October 15, 2012. Prizes will be awarded from three different media and technology categories:
1. Feature films, documentaries or television programs that run no longer than one hour
2. Short videos, video series or advertisements that run no more than ten minutes
3. Mobile phone or web application (short video tutorial of the application is recommended)
Due Date: October 15, 2012
Applicants must be 18 years of age and older to participate.
Films, videos, and mobile or web-based apps should address at least one of the following goals:
1. End America’s unsustainable dependence on oil from foreign sources
2. Generate and distribute cleaner electricity; or
3. Bridge political and geographic divides on energy policy
At a gala to be held in December 2012 in Washington, DC the first place winner in each of the three categories will receive $40,000. Runner-up prizes of $20,000 also are expected to be awarded in each category together with one or more “special award” or “best of show” prizes. Awards will be chosen based on the recommendations of a distinguished group of judges composed of media, creative, technology and policy experts.